Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thanksgiving Day at work

I'm not really into Thanksgiving, I admit. It's really just another day and there is no sense in taking the day off when I get paid double time to work it. Money makes the world go round, after all. But I must admit that there is a small amount of sentiment that seems to be making me a little sad today. Perhaps these feelings are due to this being my first holiday season without the ex, and it always was a big production, and now, not only is it not as big, but it is not at all a production! Perhaps it is knowing that I will be going home to a quiet house, just as quiet as every other night, will take the cold food out of the fridge and try to reheat it without over microwaving, and sitting with my best friend, Tivo, watching reruns of Two and a Half Men, just like every other night. Perhaps it is that I was so concerned about making everyone else feel like there is no reason to be sad today, that I forgot to convince myself, that not only am I alone, but my family is scattered around the world and there is still another few weeks before my brothers come home. Maybe I'm offended that no one ever asks me how I feel about it, or that when they do I lie and tell them I'm fine with no celebration. Maybe I bring this all on myself. Maybe I need to stop being such a little bitch and appreciate that I have a job and a family and even though we aren't together today, we will be together soon. Yes, I think that is the way to go. I must slap the pessimism out of me and allow the optimism to empower me. No more moping. I will enjoy my pizza rolls and toaster strudels and shut my fucking mouth already...that is until I get home and heat up the leftovers.

No comments: