Thursday, April 29, 2010

The Rat Race

When I was in my 20's I was job hunting and I saw that Bon-Macy's was hiring...Now just Macy's. So I filled out an online application, got an interview, and they were so impressed that they offered me my choice of where I wanted to work. Had a chosen to work in the back, I might still be there today, but probably not. I chose to work in Housewares. They put me in Fine China and Glassware. Plates lined with Platinum that sold for $100 EACH...PER PLATE. So imagine wanting an entire set? $1000 at least. Glassware by Calvin Klein, Kate Spade, Vera Wang....I don't even remember...it was fucking ridiculous. WHY WOULD ANYONE EVER PAY THAT MUCH FOR DINNERWARE??? You can go to Target and get everything you need for a hundred dollars! I spent my first day in awe of the different champagne flutes, trying like hell not to break anything...talk to my mom and she will tell you that this spinster should never be allowed around fine china. I dusted it carefully, and made it shine. Didn't make a single sale the whole day. I didn't care. I was scared of customer service, because there was no way I could EVER convince someone that paying so much for dinnerware was a good idea. NEVER. My second day, I looked around and wondered what the fuck I was doing there? I made it through. I went out to smoke and found myself in the midst of the downtown rat race. The last place I wanted to be. My third day, I parked my car, caught the bus downtown, clocked in, dusted, shined, sold some glass Swarkofski bullshit trinket and came to a realization that I did not belong. I decided maybe if I went to lunch it would be better...I clocked out...stepped outside into the rat race...a bus stopped and it was headed toward my car....I got on it....got to my car and never went back...except to get my last paycheck which was very uncomfortable. I almost forfeited it. Almost. I dressed up with hoodies and sunglasses and got my check, THEN never went back. I hate the rat race. I don't belong in it.

No comments: