Tuesday, May 11, 2010

IS Chivalry Dead? Or is Chilvary Temporary?

When I first was with my ex, he was SUCH a gentleman, it through me off a little because I was so used to being independent...he would open my doors, pay for everything, carry my bags, bring me flowers, was polite to my parents, his breath was always minty, his clothes were always clean, his sheets were always clean, his face may have had some stubble, but in a good way...it was amazing. I thought to myself, "Oh, this is what the older generation was talking about!" After a month or two, his breath was no longer fresh and minty, his beard grew long enough for the bristles to go up my nose when he kissed me, the sheets seemed to have stains from the last time I was over, and clothes were everywhere! Stinky, crusty socks...underwear, bathroom was dirty, toilet seat was up, no toilet paper! What the fuck happened??? I still had to make sure my legs were shaven that day, so they remained silky at least until tomorrow...I still put on the makeup, I still made sure I was at my best, but he just took for granted that I was all accepting of his yucky habits. I was for a while, I but I mourned the beginning. Things got worse as time went on, he started to buy me expensive gifts and expect some kind of payment (usually, degrading sexual favors) in return. I would inquire about meeting his friends, he would say, "you will" but it never happened. I would ask that he not gorge himself on hot wings before we had dinner plans, he did anyway, then would be too sick to eat. I would ask him to have dinner with my parents, and either he would get drunk and forget, or would show up just to point out loaves of bread on an advertisement that resembled penises. Yes, really. (Even writing about all this is exhausting.) The woo-ing had come to a complete halt! 4 years later, I started to plot his death. A year later, I left. To this day, I am convinced that chivalry may exist, but it's only temporary. It's a lure...you get hooked and it stops. I'd like to see someone prove me wrong.
~Spinster~

No comments: